Mature entrant to the Bar following 24 years service in the Armed Forces.
Instructed by prosecution and defence in the full range of criminal cases, at Crown Court and appellate level. Often instructed to represent former or serving members of the armed forces. Regularly instructed to prosecute on behalf of HMRC, the DTI and DWP, and to represent clients in regulatory matters involving health and safety, the security industry, licensing and company law.
Typical areas of practice :
- homicide cases including murder, manslaughter and death by driving
- cases involving firearms, and other serious non-fatal violence
- frauds and thefts generally
- serious sexual offences against children and adults
- drug importations and conspiracies to supply
Instructions have included :
- leading junior representing a client charged with conspiracy to defraud : a multi-defendant case investigated by SOCA involving a complex international dimension
- leading junior representing one of a number of defendants charged with historic sexual offences against multiple complainants, where the Indictment contained over 50 counts including allegations of rape, sexual assault, inter familial sex and possession of indecent images
- represented a client charged with murder where there was a significant issue of causation
- represented a defendant charged with manslaughter, principal issue one of self-defence
- a multi handed white collar fraud involving high value performance cars
- represented a defendant charged with people trafficking, settled effective grounds for extending legal aid order for instructing solicitor to travel to Tanzania in order to gather evidence
- defendant charged with firearms offences and causing grievous bodily harm with intent : a 'gangland' shooting following a drugs dispute
- represented a client in a large scale conspiracy to supply Class A and B drugs valued in excess of £1m, over several police areas
- an unusual high profile case involving a Polish priest charged with removing a body from a grave without lawful authority, contrary to common law : it was said that the remains were of a boy who was considered a Saint by the Polish community
Accredited by the Bar Council under the Direct Access procedure and in suitable cases is happy to accept instructions from members of the public. Please see the Direct Access section of the website for further details. Has already accepted a number of instructions from serving members of the Armed Forces.
Continuing professional development
Lectures to professional clients on various topics. Retained as consultant to an insurance company specialising in kidnap , ransom and emergency evacuation policies : briefings, seminars and lectures are common place.