Transferred to the Bar after a long career as a solicitor (admitted January 1981).
- Prosecuting solicitor West Midlands County Council (1982-1984)
- Senior Prosecuting solicitor West Mercia Police Authority (1984-1986)
- associate with Kieran & Co., Worcester, specialising in criminal defence (1986-1990)
- established own criminal law firm in Worcester and practiced as, consecutively, sole practitioner, and senior partner under names Charles H. Hamer, Hamer Bell & Co., and Hamer Childs (1990-2007)
- Listed on Criminal Cases Review Commission panel of solicitors willing to investigate potential miscarriages of justice until panel abolished
- formerly a CPS agent
- many years experience of regulatory work, especially taxi licensing cases
- Solicitor-advocate, Higher Rights (Criminal) since 2001.
Major cases as a solicitor included a number of alleged homicides, including the relatively recent high profile gross negligence manslaughter cases of the Evesham rail tragedy where three asylum seekers were killed when the London express was in collision with their van, and the Stourport Carnival drowning incident when an allegedly overloaded boat sank in the River Severn.
Since transfer to the Bar has appeared as (led) junior Counsel in murder and attempted murder trials, conducted a number of trials involving allegations of serious offences against the person and road traffic matters including allegations of death by dangerous driving, and appeared in a wide variety of matters including drugs offences, pornography and offences of dishonesty.