A graduate of the University of Warwick (LLB Hons), he completed pupillage at 6 Kings Bench Walk, London - then the Chambers of Michael Worsley QC, now headed by David Fisher QC and David Perry QC.
Experienced criminal practitioner, with predominantly defence practice, but also instructed to prosecute at CPS Grade 4 level and on the CPS Rape and Serious Sex Offences Panel.
Instructed in a wide variety of serious cases, covering the criminal calendar. Has extensive experience of long, complex, multi-handed drug and fraud trials. Has appeared as junior Counsel in numerous murder and manslaughter trials, as well as trials initiated by the National Crime Agency.
Ranked in Chambers & Partners in consecutive years :
- 2012 entry noted that he is '...instructed to deal with complicated, drawn-out cases involving murder and attempted murder, fraud and drugs offences'
- 2013 entry commented on his instruction in a ' ... a very high-profile murder case arising out of the 2011 riots', and that he is ' ... a favourite with prominent local solicitor firms'
- 2014 edition - ‘ ... has a high quality of work ..... is sensible and has a good client manner’
- 2015 entry - ‘... held in high esteem by solicitors who instruct him in serious criminal cases', and ‘… he is completely down-to-earth and a safe pair of hands'
- 2016 edition - ‘He is particularly accomplished in his handling of serious sexual offences.’
- 2017 entry - ‘Very effective defence specialist who is highly regarded for his experience representing vulnerable clients. He is frequently engaged in substantial cases concerning organised crime, drugs and homicide.’
- 2018 entry - 'Effective defence specialist who is highly regarded for his experience, including representing vulnerable and demanding clients. He is frequently engaged in very substantial cases concerning organised crime, drugs and homicide' and reported comments : "Very well respected and highly rated. He is hard-working and very measured" ; "He has a very strong work ethic and a great practice.”
Particularly adept at dealing with sensitive cases, such as those involving young or vulnerable defendants or witnesses.
Current instructions include :
- Instructed to represent man charged with murder of a businessman. Defendant is alleged to have fled to Romania within hours of the offence. Case involves considerable body of evidence from Romania, including alleged cell-confessions.
- Instructed to represent a man charged with murder of his 11-year-old niece. Case will involve significant psychiatric evidence and has attracted national media coverage.
- Instructed to represent a man charged with murder, alleged that he strangled his partner during the course of an argument.
- Instructed to represent man charged with prison mutiny arising out of disturbances at H.M.P Birmingham in December 2016.
Recent instructions have included :
- successfully represented man charged with manslaughter, arising out of the death of man who fell to his death from a 3rd floor window. Prosecution case was that 5 men had pursued the victim because of a drugs dispute. Four other defendants convicted. Case prosecuted by a Silk.
- represented a man charged with murder after he stabbed a stranger to death in a Handsworth park. Defendant had very significant mental health issues and had recently been released back into the community, despite protesting that he was still hearing voices in his head ; convicted of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
- junior defence Counsel, a 19-year-old man charged with murder of a rival drug-dealer on Brierley Hill High Street.
- junior Counsel, represented man charged with murder of a fellow passenger on the No 11 bus in Handsworth, Birmingham.
- junior Counsel, successfully represented an 18-year old woman charged with murdering her 11-day old baby : a case involving complex medical evidence.
- junior defence Counsel, a woman charged (with her husband and son) with the murder of her lover and disposal of his body
- successfully represented chart-topping ‘Grime’ artist ‘Safone’ on charges of supplying Class A drugs.
- junior Counsel, represented man charged with murder of his partner, upon discovering her relationship with another man. Complex case with no direct evidence against the defendant and in which another man had originally been charged with the same offence.
- large scale 'tier 1' visa fraud, successfully represented one of 8 defendants in a 3-month trial.
- represented a defendant in a 2-month trial concerning the supply of firearms amongst Birmingham criminal gangs.
- represented a man charged with offences of rape and kidnap, committed 11 days after release from a 10 year sentence for an earlier rape.
- prosecuted 3 defendants charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent, upon a man wrongly accused of sexual assault on a relative of one of the defendants.
- 'single punch' manslaughter case involving the death of a man following a street altercation.
- represented 16-year-old youth charged with riot, arson and possession of firearms with intent to endanger life, arising out of the serious public disorder in Birmingham in August 2011.
- junior Counsel, represented a 17-year-old charged with attempted murder, a case which raised complex issues of automatism and insanity (R v Coley  EWCA 223).
- junior Counsel for prosecution, 9 defendants charged with offences including attempted murder, arising out of a major riot at a Sikh festival.
- defence junior, represented woman in her 60’s charged with the murder of her 82-year-old mother-in-law, a case involving a number of sensitive issues surrounding the long term physical and psychological abuse of the defendant by the deceased.
- defence junior, represented a man charged with murder of his own mother.
- defence junior, successfully represented member of Birmingham gang charged with four counts of attempted murder following a shooting in a Black Country nightclub.
- defence junior, represented 16-year-old boy charged with murder, with issue of diminished responsibility.
- armed robberies - successfully represented a number of defendants charged with organised armed robberies involving bank / building societies / cash in transit vehicles.
- large scale cannabis importation case, represented one of 9 defendants, 3 ½ month trial.
- money laundering on a substantial scale, 6 week trial (defence), arising from the Morecambe Bay cockle picking disaster.
- (defence) leading junior, large scale conspiracy to supply cocaine, nationally.
- various cases involving allegations of rape and other sexual offences against adults and children, current and historic.
- substantial car ringing conspiracy involving high value German cars.
- various cases of death by dangerous driving, including successfully. representing a defendant alleged to have been 'racing' another vehicle when he collided with another vehicle killing 4 members of the same family.
- large scale 'car key' conspiracy, involving thefts of high value cars from affluent areas throughout the West Midlands.
Also has some experience in immigration and asylum cases. Fluent in Punjabi and Urdu.
Accredited under the Direct Access procedure, and in suitable cases is happy to accept instructions directly from members of the public. Please see the Direct Access section of the website for further details.
Continuing professional development
He is a registered pupil supervisor. Involved in advocacy training on behalf of the Midland Circuit.