Completed pupillage in 5 Essex Court, London - a set which specialised in civil actions against the Police. Thereafter practiced on the North East circuit in crime and civil work. Commissioned into the Army Legal Service in 2005 where, during a 10 year career in the Army, became a senior Major within the Service Prosecuting Authority (SPA), conducting prosecutions before the Court Martial. Within the SPA became a specialist in serious violence and sexual offence prosecutions and indecent image cases. Has deployed to a number of operational theatres as Legal Advisor to British Forces.
Returned to the independent Bar and joined Citadel in 2015.
A court martial specialist with many years of experience of military service, he can advise clients on all stages of the military justice system and represent their interests at Court Martial or public inquiry. Extensive knowledge of operational international law. Wide ranging expertise in criminal cases, both prosecuting and defending, and experience in a broad range of civil cases.
Previous notable cases include :
- led by senior Treasury Counsel in shaken baby manslaughter prosecution
- Rape, a case where the complainant suffered from vaso-vagal syndrome, was exceptionally vulnerable, and required particularly careful management
- Blackmail by soldiers of another and his wife following money-lending
- Multi-handed conspiracy to commit fraud and to evade tax
- Conspiracy to steal property from local civilians in Iraq, the entire case being conducted through interpreters
- Large-scale drug importation and supply
- Contested cases involving indecent images of children requiring detailed and disputed expert evidence
- Represented the SPA at the Court Martial Appeal Court, in various separate matters on behalf of both Appellant and Respondent
Common Law :
- led junior in a case involving catastrophic mismanagement of birth, which resulted in admission of liability by Health Authority and settlement for £3 million
- Internet defamation of a vehicle repair business
- Fast and Multi track civil actions including personal injury, clinical negligence, actions against the police
- Inquests involving deaths in custody, in road traffic accidents and industrial accidents
Continuing professional development
Whilst practising on the North East circuit, was guest tutor in advocacy on the Bar Vocational course at Northumbria University.