From June-August 2003, worked as an intern for two law firms in San Francisco : in one office involved in implementing a rehabilitation programme for persistent offenders, and in the other firm engaged in the preparation of a death row appeal case. Graduated with a first-class honours degree in 2004, completed the Bar Vocational course with a grade of 'very competent', and was awarded Exhibition and Keble scholarships from Inner Temple. Undertook pupillage at Citadel in 2005/6. In 2011, completed the Inner Temple International Advanced Advocacy course.
Instructed to prosecute or defend serious crime, at Crown Court and appellate level. Regularly instructed in cases of murder or manslaughter, factually or legally complex cases involving multiple defendants and/or large conspiracies, rape and other serious sexual offences. A Grade 4 prosecutor who deals with those complex cases both as sole advocate and as led junior. A member of the specialist rape panel, who provides charging advice when requested. Has substantial experience of cases involving very vulnerable witnesses and defendants.
Recent instructions have included :
Court of Appeal / Administrative Court
- instructed by the Attorney General's office on an application concerning an unduly lenient sentence : the offender was found to be dangerous and his sentence was increased by 6 years
- prosecuted 3 armed robbers at trial, then successfully conducted unduly lenient sentence hearing in the Court of Appeal
- represented the Crown in Judicial Review proceedings where allegations of irrationality were advanced
Murder / non-fatal violence
- junior for the Crown, the murder of a drug dealer (stabbing)
- junior for the Crown, 2 security doormen who had killed a guest at an event where they were working
- prosecuted a defendant who had committed gunpoint robberies of a number of betting shops
- prosecuted a defendant who had repeatedly raped his step-daughter over a period of years, then attempted to kill her : he received an overall sentence of 30 years' imprisonment
- represented a defendant in a complex conspiracy to import Class A and Class B drugs, under the guise of sports supplements
- represented a defendant in a multi-faceted and complex conspiracy to supply Class A drugs in Worcestershire
- prosecuted a multiple-defendant conspiracy to supply Class A drugs to the Worcester area
- represented a defendant in a conspiracy to supply a substantial quantity of Class A drugs
- represented a defendant charged with multiple offences of rape, where the defendant stood trial as a woman, having had a full sex-change since the alleged offending
- prosecuted a defendant for serious sexual offences, a case with substantial and complex PII issues
- represented a defendant accused of sexual offences against a 5 year old child, which required very sensitive cross-examination (defendant acquitted)
Accredited under the Direct Access procedure and in suitable cases is happy to accept instructions directly from members of the public. Please see the Direct Access section of the website for further details.
Continuing professional development
Has participated in Midland Circuit Advocacy training courses.