Several years in international banking (predominantly with J.P. Morgan) prior to entry to the Bar.
Instructed in cases of the utmost gravity, principally by the Defence, on occasion by the Crown. Extensive experience in cases involving homicide of all kinds, organized crime and gang warfare, high value drug offences, serious sex offences. Specialist in ‘white collar’ and business crime, whose caseload encompasses serious fraud of all kinds (e.g. MTIC/VAT carousel, Revenue, banking and finance, boiler room, insurance and long firm), money laundering and Proceeds of Crime proceedings.
Recommended by the Legal 500 as having ‘ … an impressive reputation for serious fraud defence ...’, and in Chambers and Partners over a number of years:
- 2012 entry noted ‘… attractive presentation skills and impressive grasp of cases involving murder, smuggling and fraud’.
- 2013 edition commented that his previous career in banking ‘ … brings extensive financial sector knowledge … a significant boon to his fraud practice’
- 2014 entry ‘… a wealth of experience in the most serious of criminal matters‘
- 2015 edition described him as ‘… a fearless advocate, yet very approachable and with a real sensitivity to the requirements of the client. Further, he is an excellent tactician, he is well prepared, realistic in his approach and very sound on technical detail.’
- 2018 entry ‘He’s approachable, well prepared, and has a real presence in the courtroom’.
Has particular expertise in cases involving complex factual disputes and technical issues (including medical matters), and has had a long standing practice in substantial regulatory matters, and in civil actions against the police.
- Prosecuted 10 defendants in series of shootings in gang warfare.
- Represented an alleged contract killer on historic murder charge.
- Historic murder, represented successful businessman charged with disposal of body and firearms offences.
- Torture and murder of handicapped young woman by group of young people.
- Several baby shaking murder / manslaughter cases.
- Novel murder case where death occurred 7 years after injuries inflicted.
- Quadruple murder in hotel arson and other fires.
- Unlawful act and gross negligence manslaughter from heroin overdose.
- Unusual unlawful act manslaughter relating to deceased jumping from window to escape perceived attack.
- Medically complex death by dangerous driving by hypoglycaemic diabetic driver.
- Murder allegation involving defence of epileptic automatism.
- Prosecuted 9 defendants on charges arising from a major riot, including attempted murder.
- Attempted murder, rape and robbery of elderly handicapped lady by youth.
- Operation Cookie: Large scale commercial trafficking of firearms and ammunition
- Operation Gold Dust: Importation and sale of illegal firearms and large scale manufacture and sale of illegal ammunition
- £180m MTIC/VAT carousel fraud and money laundering, represented relative of a senior member of the legal profession.
- £140m MTIC/VAT carousel fraud and money laundering, represented a bank manager.
- £65m Hawala banking fraud.
- £35m boiler room fraud, represented stock broker and Registrar.
- £1.5m corporate fraud/corruption case, represented the sales and marketing manager of a public company.
- £1m fraud on a government funding scheme.
- Represented a solicitor on a series of mortgage frauds.
- Represented a very senior employee of a major prosecuting authority on Class A drug supply and sexual assault charges.
- People smuggling into the USA on a large scale.
- Lead defence counsel in gang war riot between ’Hell’s Angels’ and ’Outlaws’.
- Represented major wholesale heroin dealer.
- Represented a company director in complex director’s disqualification charges.
- Financial Services and Markets Tribunal, represented firm of Independent Financial Advisers.
- Court of Appeal (Civil Div) – significant case on misfeasance in public office.
- Court of Appeal (Civil Div) – ’reasonableness’ and ’necessity’ on arrest in Civil actions against the police.
- Advice on private prosecution of insurance frauds.