Ilana practices in all areas of criminal defence and prosecution, licensing and civil litigation. She is also available for instructions in employment and private family law.
Ilana joined Citadel after successfully completing pupillage in April 2020.
Before pupillage, Ilana worked as a solicitor’s agent in the County Court, representing a range of professional and lay clients in civil applications.
Ilana also worked as a paralegal at a local law firm, assisting in the family, probate and construction departments.
Ilana has volunteered for the Free Representation Unit and Citizens Advice Bureau, successfully representing clients in the Employment Tribunal and Social Security and Child Benefit Tribunal.
Ilana receives instructions on behalf of both the defence and prosecution in the Crown Court, Youth Court and Magistrates’ Court.
Ilana has also appeared on behalf of the National Probation Service, West Midlands Police and Home Office.
Ilana has experience of a breadth of cases involving violence, drugs, sexual offences and motoring offences.
- R v T (2020) – represented a man at first appearance charged with attempted murder, said to have been committed during the lockdown period.
- R v C (2020) – represented a man convicted of multiple dwelling burglaries and street robberies, securing a sentence of 8 years’ imprisonment.
- R v D (2019) – successfully defended an 18-year-old man accused of sexually assaulting a vulnerable, youth complainant in a park.
- R v S (2019) – prosecuted a man who uploaded a threatening rap video to YouTube. Successfully argued that uploading to YouTube amounted to sending a malicious communication and the personalised threats in the video went beyond artistic licence.
Ilana also has experience in other non-criminal areas of the law.
Ilana is available for instructions in licensing matters relating to taxi/private hire, alcohol and tobacco as well as regulatory matters.
Ilana has experience of small claims track trials and is available to draft statements of case. She has appeared in the County Court for civil applications in insolvency, personal injury and property matters.
- Ilana appeared in the Employment Tribunal against the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy in a claim for redundancy pay. The issue between the parties was the length of time the Claimant was employed and whether a temporary absence without pay broke the period of employment.
- Ilana successfully negotiated on behalf of an employee in an unfair dismissal claim and settled the case for the full basic award.
Ilana accepts instructions in private child matters and matrimonial finance disputes.
- ‘To what extent should greater obligations be placed on social media companies to tackle terrorist crime committed on their platforms?’ (2019) 1 City Law Review 18
- ‘Doctors, parents, and the court – deciding best interests post Charlie Gard’ (2018) 3 City Law Society Journal 9
- Criminal Bar Association
- Midlands Circuit
- Criminal Bar Association Bursary Award 2019
- Lincoln’s Inn Pupillage Grant 2019
- Sir Thomas More Bursary Scholarship 2017