Laura is an experienced Level 3 prosecutor, also a member of the CPS panel of advocates who receive instructions in cases involving rape and other serious sexual offences. Instructed by specialist divisions, including CPS Fraud Group, HMRC, DWP and the UK Border Agency.
Joined Citadel in 2008 following successful completion of pupillage. Prior to this, she worked as a paralegal in a firm of solicitors specialising in fraud and ‘white collar’ crime which consisted of caseloads relating to a variety of High Cost cases and Proceeds of Crime Act applications.
Instructed to prosecute and defend in a wide variety of criminal matters with a particular emphasis on fraud cases, and drug offences.
Defence experience encompasses the full spectrum of criminal cases, including offences of violence, dishonesty and fraud, and sexual offences: recently secured a series of acquittals in cases where defendants were charged with rape and other serious sexual offences.
Laura also has extensive experience of dealing with privately funded road traffic cases including arguments on special reasons and exceptional hardship.
- Successfully defended an 18-year-old accused of rape of his boyfriend.
- Successfully defended a man in his early 20s accused of rape of a female friend in a car park on a night out.
- Worked with an intermediary to make sure a defendant with an extremely low IQ had the least distressing experience he possibly could of going through the court system. Defendant ultimately sentenced to a community order for attempting to incite a child to engage in sexual activity.
Laura has extensive experience working for West Midlands Police on a range of civil and criminal applications, including Proceeds of Crime Act matters, high value forfeiture cases to a value of up to £1.3 million, disclosure from the Family Courts, and representing the police in civil actions.
- Secured convictions for fraud in May of 2019 of a defendant who posed as a medical practitioner in order to defraud multiple elderly victims in Warwickshire.
- Currently instructed as junior for the prosecution in a case against 7 defendants charged with conspiracies to import large quantities of Class A drugs from Holland. A National Crime Agency investigation with international dimensions, led by a Principal Crown Advocate from the CPS.
- Successfully prosecuted as junior to Anthony Warner two multi defendant drugs conspiracies in 2016 and 2017.
Accredited under the Direct Access procedure and in suitable cases is happy to accept instructions from members of the public. Please see the Direct Access section of the website for further details.