Instructed by both defence and prosecution. Authorised to prosecute for the SFO, and frequently acts on behalf of the Department of Work and Pensions, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, and the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.
First Tier Judge of the Social Security Tribunal
In addition to the aforementioned, Laura as been instructed to provide independent advice to a number of agencies on disclosure and legal professional privilege.
Authorised by the Crown Prosecution Service to conduct cases involving allegations of rape and other serious sexual offences. Defence work has included complex drug and money laundering cases, as well as cases involving serious sexual offences and violence. Substantial experience of fraud, confiscation, and road traffic law, from both a prosecution and defence perspective.
- Prosecution of an employee theft worth over £2 million.
- Advised HMRC on charge in a case involving complex VAT and tax credit fraud.
- Defence junior for a defendant charged with money laundering and fraud, including sole conduct of the confiscation proceedings.
- Prosecution of a cigarette-smuggling operation in which over £500,000 of excise duty was evaded.
- Prosecution junior in the successful prosecution of two dentists for conspiracy to defraud.
- Represented a man charged with sexual assault of a child.
- Represented a 12 year old defendant who had admitted a serious sexual offence.
- Has conducted a variety of civil matters in the County Court and High Court including appeals and committal proceedings.
- Receives instructions to advise on and appear in personal injury matters.
- Has appeared at a number of Coroner’s inquests representing the interests of parties called to give evidence where a fatality has occurred.
- Appears in civil actions involving allegations of police misconduct.
Appears before local councils and courts in licensing matters, acting on behalf of licensed premises and other agencies. Experienced in dealing with a range of licensing applications and hearings.
- Prosecution junior in a multi-handed case involving trafficking and controlling prostitutes for gain.
- Represented a young defendant charged with the knife-point robbery of a takeaway delivery driver.
- Represented a man charged with S18 grievous bodily harm with intent, following a severe beating of the complainant in his own home.
- The appeal against sentence of a defendant sentenced for offences of burglary, in which the Court of Appeal substantially reduced the sentence.
Continuing professional development
An approved pupil supervisor.
Accredited under the Direct Access procedure and in suitable cases is happy to accept instructions direct from members of the public. Please see the Direct Access section of the website for further details.