Specialist criminal practitioner, instructed by defence and prosecution in the full spectrum of criminal matters.
Criminal matters include homicide and serious non-fatal offences of violence, robbery, firearms matters, conspiracy to supply controlled drugs, causing death by dangerous driving, allegations of rape and other serious sexual offences.
Nigel has experience in drugs and gang-regaled offences. He is also a grade 4 prosecutor.
Recent instructions have included:
- Represented one of the principal defendants in a multi-handed drugs conspiracy (defendant acquitted).
- Various separate cases of defendants charged with armed robbery and street robbery.
- Prosecuted two defendants charged with robbery, S18 and aggravated burglary arising from an attack upon a husband and wife in their own home.
- Represented a defendant charged with riot arising from large-scale public disorder at Birmingham airport between members of rival motorcycle gangs (Outlaws and Hells Angels).
- Represented the principal defendant in an alleged conspiracy to rob and conspiracy to steal numerous high-value vehicles.
- Cases of significant public disorder arising from football matches.
- Various separate cases of defendants charged with rape and other serious sexual offences including familial and historic cases, and defendants charged with downloading child pornography from the internet.
Has spent much of his leisure time playing and coaching rugby, and has sat as a member of his club’s internal disciplinary committee.
- Junior Counsel in murder trial representing a defendant charged with an ‘execution’ killing (shooting).
- Prosecuted a nurse charged with offences arising from cruelty to elderly patients.
- Prosecuted a bus driver charged with dangerous driving arising from an incident where bus driven over a child’s foot leading to amputation.
- Cases involving issues of fitness to plead.
Continuing professional development
In the Citadel series, has lectured on Fraud and on inferences from silence in interview.