An experienced criminal practitioner with both prosecution and defence practice and on the CPS Rape and Serious Sex Offences Panel. Significant experience in prosecuting and defending Homicide cases ranging from Murder; Attempted Murder and Road Traffic.
Has notable experience of human Trafficking cases.
Recent and substantial experience in Fraud; Conspiracy to defraud and Money Laundering.
Deaths in custody; Inquest work including conducting Article 2 inquests and many Jury Inquests as Deputy Coroner and Assistant Coroner in two jurisdictions.
Appellate work; Strong inter-personal skills. Substantial previous Advocacy and Managerial experience working at the CPS.
Assistant Coroner, sitting in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire.
Called to the Bar in 1988, and thereafter embarked upon a distinguished career employed by CPS, where his experience included:
- 1988 to 2002, Crown Prosecutor and then Senior Crown Prosecutor Thames Valley CPS: advised senior police officers in serious and complex cases, undertook advocacy in the Magistrates’ Court and Crown Court, CPS trainer and internal investigator, involved with diversity initiatives at a local and national level.
- 2002-2003, Head of Criminal Justice Unit Oxfordshire CPS: led a team of 40 staff conducting Magistrates’ Court prosecutions.
- 2003-2005, Head of Trials Unit Thames Valley CPS: led a team of 9 senior lawyers, 9 caseworkers and administrative staff dealing with the most serious criminal cases at Reading Crown Court, in collaboration with the Assistant Chief Constable. developed the first integrated unit of police and CPS staff in the UK, worked in partnership with Crown Court and police to reduce ineffective trials and process ‘street crime’ cases expeditiously, handled parliamentary and public complaints.
- 2010-2012, Crown Advocate Thames Chiltern CPS: advised, prepared and prosecuted complex casework particularly fraud and serious sexual offences at Reading Crown Court.
- 2005-2015, Senior Crown Prosecutor with CPS Direct National: advised police on investigations and tactical considerations with a view to authorising charges in serious criminal matters, set guidance to police to achieve the best prospects of success in a criminal prosecution, specialist trainer in rape and serious sexual offences.
Appointed as Assistant Deputy Coroner for Berkshire in 2010, and now sits as Assistant Coroner in that area as well as in Buckinghamshire. Has conducted a wide range of inquests, jury and non-jury, including Article 2 inquests and those involving deaths in custody. In 2013, he was the CPS legal lead in the creation of a CPS/Coroners/ACPO memorandum of understanding, and author of Coroners’ officers’ guidelines.
Since 2015, has represented defendants in a wide range of trials in serious criminal cases, including offences of violence, drug trafficking, money laundering, fraud, perverting the course of public justice, death by dangerous driving, and provided written advice in money laundering investigations and in a child murder case. Has extensive professional experience in cases involving complex evidence in the field of forensic pathology, and in cases involving rape and other serious sexual offences.
Transferred to the independent Bar in 2015, initially practiced as a member of Acorn Chambers in Oxford, then joined Citadel in 2016.
In additional to criminal work, accepts instructions to represent interested parties at inquests, and to represent those involved in professional disciplinary hearings.
- R v Singh and others. 2017 – Isleworth Crown Court. A Two week case with a number of defendants charged with conspiracy to incite prostitution for gain. Hostile witnesses and cut- throat defences amongst six defendants.
- R v Amzulin and others. 2018 – Preston Crown Court. Human trafficking; 7 Defendants charged with exploitation of Romanian girls through prostitution.
- R v Maria and others. 2018 – Wood Green Crown Court. A 5 week case with 8 Romanian defendants charged with Human Trafficking with a view to exploitation through prostitution.
- R v Cojacaru and others. 2019 – Nottingham Crown Court. A Modern Slavery case.
- Levar Thomas – Murder (Northampton Crown Court) – Defending.
- R v Kombe and others 2017 – Snaresbrook Crown Court. A 3 week Trial on an attempted murder and Section 18 GBH.
- R v Patel. 2017 – Warwick Crown Court. A 10 day trial where defendant charged Death by Dangerous Driving. Significant technical and medical evidence in relation to causation.
- 2015 – Lucretia Portia Inquest: Death in custody – contempt of court issues; mental health and issues of neglect during hospital admission.
Article 2 Jury inquests:
- 2014 – Stephen Church Inquest: British Transport Police; 3 IPCC investigations; Inquest into death in custody complicated by application of Mental Health processes, remands, and legislation.
- 2018 –Anne Roberts inquest: Regulation 28 report issued. Choking in psychiatric hospital whilst detained.
- Sanketkumar Patel – Money Laundering (Bristol Crown Court) £9 million turnover in money transfer business – Defending.
- Mariam Bhajun – Conspiracy to defraud (Southwark Crown Court) £250k travel agency fraud involving the Civil Aviation Authority – Defending.
- A member of the Society of Asian Lawyers.
- Tutor in the Bar Professional Training Course, (BPTC).
- Voluntary work has included mentoring another assistant coroner, membership of a marshalling scheme supporting lawyers seeking judicial office.
- Governor and trustee at a Quaker school.
- Article: “The Bereaved and Coroner investigation: Playing Your Part”. 2015
- Author of article: ‘The Bereaved and Coroner investigation: playing your part’
- “Three Sikh Mice” – Children’s Story – 2019
- “Call this Justice” – 85,000 word novel – 2019
- A keen jazz saxophonist and golfer.
- Fluent in Punjabi.
Accredited by the Bar Council under the Direct Access procedure and in suitable cases is happy to accept instructions direct from members of the public. Please see the Direct Access section of the website for further details.