Instructed for both the prosecution (Grade 4 prosecutor) and the defence. Has significant experience in dealing with serious cases of violence, sexual offences, drugs, complex frauds and dishonesty.
Following pupillage, worked for several years as in-house Counsel at 2 different firms of criminal defence solicitors in Surrey where he gained substantial experience of serious criminal cases. Returned to independent practice, initially with an exclusively criminal practice at 4 Breams Buildings in London, then joined Citadel in 2015.
Has dealt with contested Proceeds of Crime (POCA), Criminal Behaviour Order and Sexual Harm Prevention Order applications for both prosecution and defence. Has also appeared in the Court of Appeal in relation to both conviction and sentence appeals.
- Trial for s18 wounding involving a defendant with a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia alleged to have stabbed a man twice to the face; difficult issues relating to the law of self defence by a person suffering from serious mental illness.
- Prosecuted a violent street robbery in which the robber stamped on the victim’s face, resulting in significant facial injuries.
- Child cruelty trial involving an allegation of a deliberate punch to the face of a child in a pushchair.
- Represented a defendant alleged to have inflicted very serious head wounds by hitting the complainant around the head with a metal bar.
- Represented one of a number of defendants in a trial, allegation of conspiracy to cheat the Revenue of over £100,000.
- Led junior in a three week 3 defendant money laundering trial involving the proceeds of a ‘time-share’ boiler room fraud.
- Junior alone in a multi-defendant 7 week fraud trial involving the collapse of an auction house and the loss of money to a significant number of complainants.
- Prosecuted a man who had imported cocaine worth nearly £100,000 into the country via Gatwick airport.
- Junior alone in a 10 defendant case involving a conspiracy to burgle properties in order to steal high value motor vehicles.
- Represented one of 5 defendants in a four week drugs supply trial.
- Led Junior in a murder trial where the defendant was a solicitor who was alleged to have murdered his wife. A case involving complex scientific evidence including blood distribution analysis, and other complicated bad character and medical issues relating to the deceased.
- Junior alone, represented a defendant charged with attempted murder, having travelled alone to the UK from the USA, entered a bedroom late at night through a window and stabbed two of the occupants.
- Represented the defendant first on the Indictment in a ‘gang rape’ trial of 3 defendants.
- Rape trial involving allegations made by the defendant’s niece following his conviction for sexual offences against his daughter.
- Represented a 19 year old charged with rape of a 12 year old: a successfully argued Newton hearing and mitigation resulted in the imposition of a non-custodial sentence.
- ‘Historic’ case: rape of a girl aged between 6 and 9 by her teenage cousin.